Scaling your Impact Venture
December 2015 – May 2016, Vancouver BC
RADIUS is an innovation lab and venture incubator at SFU’s Beedie School of Business. We have a specific focus on working with Radical Doers to create positive impact through innovation and entrepreneurship.
RADIUS Slingshot is supported by and delivered with support from Business Development Bank of Canada, Vancity Credit Union, and Fasken Martineau LLP.
Thank you to all applicants. The application period is now closed.
WILL YOUR IMPACT VENTURE BE PART OF THE NEXT SLINGSHOT COHORT?
RADIUS seeks impact ventures that are:
- in the early growth stage (starting at $50,000 to $200,000 in annual revenue), and
- looking for support in becoming investment ready and market ready.
In particular, we seek ventures that are actively pursuing growth capital, new market entry, and/or new product launch.
Entrepreneurs will benefit from:
- one-on-one support from our seasoned entrepreneurs-in-residence (Donovan Woollard and Mike Rowlands)
- weekly co-learning sessions in a peer-driven environment,
- subsidized office space in Vancouver’s Gastown neighborhood for six months.
- access to an extensive mentor network, and connections with downstream investors and lenders.
Qualifying ventures will be selected for ongoing collaboration, investment, and co-entrepreneurship.
Radical Doers. You do things differently. You may or may not think of yourself as a social entrepreneur, but through your venture you are purposefully building a better world for yourself and those around you.
Up to three core team members (including lead entrepreneur) for each venture.
WHAT YOU COME WITH
- A venture ready to scale in the next six months
- A venture that addresses a meaningful social or environmental challenge as part of its core product or service offering
- No sectors are excluded, but the following are particularly welcome to apply:
- Sustainable food systems;
- Ventures launched by SFU alumni
In certain cases, we will accept start-up ventures that are ready to start generating revenues in the next six months.
WHAT YOU LEAVE WITH
The confidence and clarity to quickly scale your venture.
- A complete and customer-tested Business Model Canvas
- Prioritized sales channels, customer types, and revenue opportunities
- New and lasting connections with like-minded entrepreneurs and mentors
- Connections to lenders and early stage investors
- Frameworks and processes you will continue to use going forward
The RADIUS Slingshot cohort consists of the following:
- Weekly cohort sessions with all program participants, Entrepreneurs-in-Residence, and mentors
- Bi-weekly one-on-one sessions with a dedicated Entrepreneur-in-Residence
- Free access to legal support (up to 5 hours per venture), Amazon Web Services, and Quickbooks.
Applications due October 15th. Program starts week of December 1st and continues weekly for six months. Core team must be available for all meetings in Vancouver (in-person or by online communication).
RADIUS invests its time and resources in the success of its Slingshot ventures and shares in their success. Thanks to the support of BDC and Vancity, there is no upfront fee for this program. Instead, we charge a performance fees based upon incremental success (revenue growth, funds raised, etc.) up to 2x program delivery cost.
QUESTIONS? Email RADIUS Ventures Director Donovan Woollard at dwoollard[at]radiussfu.com.