RADIUS is launching the new Social Innovation Activators program, an opportunity for SFU’s emerging changemakers to help understand, shape, and activate a stronger social innovation community that engages all faculties on all SFU campuses. SFU students from all faculties are invited to apply by November 30th.
Three emerging student leaders will be trained to lead interviews of faculty, staff, and students in order to understand the SFU community’s perception of social innovation. Furthermore, the activators will help create a repository of social innovation support resources at SFU by finding and sorting bursaries, awards, scholarships, grants, courses, etc. available for change-making activities. The program supports the cross-campus work of SFU Innovates. Students from all programs and faculties are encouraged to apply.
Will you be one of the first Social Innovation Activators?
- passionate about social impact, innovation, and entrepreneurship, and are a future social entrepreneur
- an emerging SFU student leader from any faculty with proven results and achievements
- excited to help build a stronger social innovation ecosystem across SFU’s Burnaby, Surrey, and Vancouver campuses
- a team player willing to work with a multi-disciplinary team
- experienced and comfortable conducting and analyzing interviews with a wide variety of people, or are committed to learning how to do so
- a self-starter, willing to work without too much guidance (“Draw the Owl” – Google it!)
- willing to learn, make mistakes, and try novel approaches to problems
- Conduct interviews to understand perceptions of Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship at SFU
- Find, collect, and sort resources intended to support social innovation and entrepreneurship at SFU
- Catalogue research data and producing digestible results presented directly to the Director of RADIUS
- Assist in conceptualizing, planning, and executing events and workshops with the theme of social entrepreneurship and innovation
You’ll be supported by:
- Training to conduct and analyze interviews
- Access to leaders within the SFU Social Innovation Community
- Profiles on RADIUS’s website, newsletters, and blogs
- $1,000 to be used for professional development (conferences, training, travel expenses, etc.)
- Access to a shared $2,000 fund to act on ideas for strengthening SFU’s social innovation community
- To work with amazing individuals passionate about changing the world
Time Commitment: 2-4 hours/week (training provided)
Timeline: January – December 2016
Application Deadline: November 30th, 2015
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter in a combined PDF to Rizwan Qaiser at rqaiser[at]radiussfu[dot]com. In your cover letter, please answer the following questions:
- Why are you the right person for this program?
- What are 2 of your proudest achievements?
- You return to campus in 10 years. What has been the impact of your involvement in this project?
Optionally, you may also submit up to three digital portfolio items (e.g. a website, project report, video, etc) that demonstrate your awesomeness. Please include these as links or attachments (or share via GoogleDrive or Dropbox if the file is too large to send via email).
RADIUS (RADical Ideas, Useful to Society) is a social innovation lab and venture incubator based at the Beedie School of Business, SFU. A “place for radical doers”, we develop the emerging leaders and solutions needed for a sustainable, just and healthy economy. Read more about our work.