RADIUS seeks an analytical, strategic, and agile person to join our team as General Manager. Working in close collaboration with the Directors of RADIUS and RADIUS Ventures, the General Manager will have accountability for the successful fulfillment of all RADIUS programs.
Applications are due by 11:59pm May 11th, 2016 (see details below)
In service of an economy rooted in social justice and ecosystem health, RADIUS delivers cohort-based programs to Radical Doers at various phases of exploration, launch, and growth. All of our programs build from a core focus on:
- developing personal vision and leadership,
- creating peer-based learning and doing environments,
- bringing Doers from broad perspectives and backgrounds into the innovation and entrepreneurship community; and
- cultivating connections between those we work with and the broader ecosystem of partners, mentors, investors, lenders, learned ones, and other kick-ass doers.
RADIUS programs include innovative student programming at SFU, RADIUS Fellows, the Local Economic Development (LED) lab, and RADIUS Ventures programs from business model validation to early stage growth.
The General Manager will have lead accountability for running the RADIUS ship, and ensuring that it travels smoothly and effectively along the route set by the team. Specifically, the General Manager will have the following responsibilities:
- Participating in senior leadership functions
The functions of the senior leadership team will include but are not limited to:
- Setting core strategy for the organization; and
- Making resource allocation decisions.
- Core accountability for fulfillment of program commitments within the strategy and resource allocation defined.
In close coordination with the lead program delivery team, the General Manager will take a holistic view to ensuring that RADIUS’ program commitments are achieved effectively and within the resources allocated.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Maintenance and ownership of the overall program calendar and budget
- Collaboration with program delivery staff on project workplans and schedules
- Program metrics and evaluation
- Team Performance & Coordination
The General Manager will have direct report relationships with lead program delivery staff and will play a key role in setting and maintaining RADIUS team culture. Specific functions will include:
- Establishing workplans, goal setting and evaluation processes with direct reports;
- Lead accountability for human resources including hiring and training
- Coordinating team meetings and retreats;
- Ensuring that RADIUS maintains a sensible organizational structure as it grows in size and complexity
- Operations Leadership
With the support of an office and community coordinator to be hired by the General Manager, the General Manager will ensure the smooth operation of RADIUS, including:
- Maintenance of an active office space and working environment that reflects the culture and spirit of RADIUS
- Effective office management
- Day to day internal relations with SFU finance, communications, events and facilities staff as necessary
- Communications & Community Management
In collaboration with program delivery staff, office and community coordinator, and communications staff at Simon Fraser University, ensuring that RADIUS effectively communicates with its broad community, continues its role as a thought leader, and maintains a rich and close relationship with its current participants and alumni.
The successful candidate will:
- have 5+ years professional experience in a strategic operations management or entrepreneurial context
- enjoy working in a dynamic, iterative professional environment
- thrive while juggling tasks and working in a self-directed fashion
- be a strong written and verbal communicator
- understand our users, and demonstrate a clear understanding – preferably through direct experience – of an entrepreneurial and/or innovator mindset
- have experience managing significant budgets and be comfortable with financials
- be comfortable with strategic communications including social media and basic website management
- see themselves as a Radical Doer
Strong assets include:
- a background and network in social innovation and/or entrepreneurship
- experience in a small and growing team
- value added experience with one or more of the RADIUS program areas (individual fellowship type programs, social innovation labs, venture incubation and acceleration, university programs)
RADIUS strives to build a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we work in, and encourages applications from traditionally under-represented groups such as women, visible minorities, First Nations, people identifying as LGBT*QI, and people with disabilities.
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to Shawn Smith and Donovan Woollard at community[at]radiussfu[dot]com by May 11th at 11:59pm with the subject line “Application: RADIUS General Manager”. In your cover letter, please concisely address the following:
- Why is this position the perfect next step for you?
- Why are you the missing piece for our continued growth and success?
- What is one question you want to ask to understand whether this job or team is a fit for you?
- What makes you a Radical Doer? How have you taken action to make the world a better place?
We thank all applicants for their interest in joining the RADIUS team, but we will only be able to contact those applicants invited for an interview. Interview invitations will be extended no later than May 16th, with interviews scheduled that and the following week. This is a full-time contract position with a three-month check-in to ensure mutual fit, and a start date as early as mutually convenient.